Thursday, October 28, 2010

A This-kit a That-skit...

I'll assume you all got the reference up there and shall continue.. ; )

At the beginning of the day I felt like there was a whole lot I wanted to post about... but now that it's later I may not be able to remember it all. (Warning: this will be long and probably unorganized.)
Let's see...

Well, for one we're getting a new roof! Hoh yeah.. it's going to be awesome. I picked the color out myself... teak.. whatever that means. It's a brownish color that looks better than the one Drew picked out. I wanted it to be even more chocolate-y brown, but Drew was like, "I don't know about a brown roof with a green house." I was like, "Are you kidding?.. green and brown?.. that's what all of nature is!" Well, I still didn't get that awesome color, but I got the next best thing. Teak. The roofing guy said our install should be set up within two weeks! Woo woo! That hail storm really did us in. Insurance is covering it and everything. Thank goodness.. we were going to have to get a new roof next year as it was!

Next up is my wheat and dairy trial. So as I may or may not have already said in a previous post, at one of Ari's recent checkups (I think it was the head rash one, or maybe it was the 9 month one on Monday?..) our doctor told me to start trying to reintroduce wheat/dairy one at a time as I could handle it. She wants Ari to start being exposed to it via nursing so that he hopefully won't be allergic to it also once he starts eating it after around a year old. She wanted me to begin with trying to eat something with wheat in it every other day.

So, I have followed what she said, and it has been going pretty well. My stomach hasn't been hurting at all! I have been experiencing some gas (sorry) after eating wheat. But in the past few days I have also started to get more congested. This morning, I woke up with a scratchy throat and feeling even more congested. Are they related, or do I just have a cold? If I do have a cold, did I get it because my immune system was compromised by trying to deal with the allergens I've been giving it? And if it is only a cold, could my eating wheat (which I am allergic to) be making my congestion worse? I don't know the answer to any of these things, or what to do about it. I think I will give myself an additional day or two between wheat ingestions and maybe decrease the amount of wheat I eat for a couple of dosages as well. I hope that I will feel better soon, and that Drew and Ari won't get sick as well.

Okay, so on to my most recent A & P II test... hold on.. before I moan about how my grade is still not posted, I'm going to double check here and make sure he didn't snake it in while I'm writing this...(*one-minute-pause*).. WOAH! He actually did snake it in while I was writing this!! Okay.. so I did not do as well this time. 89/100 percent, which in case you don't know.. is not quite an A.

Grrrr. I totally deserve it though. I waited to the last minute to study again, and it was a HARD test. In my opinion, much harder than the first one. Ugh. Maybe I can argue my way into a few more points and sneak into the A-range. There were some questions that were really unclear. (and I'm not just saying that because of my grade.. they were really confusing) I'm still happy though. I'm getting an A overall, and I think this just might be the motivation I needed to get my butt in gear and stop procrastinating so much (I'm going to have to add a "procrastination" label to this blog). I swear I will try to do better and study in manageable chunks this time. Anyways, so glad to know my grade... I will sleep better tonight. = D

What else... oh! That's right.. the darn food issue again. Okay, so I will preface this by saying that I feel sooo blessed. Many new moms have trouble figuring out nursing/latching/all that stuff. I never did. Nursing has really been a breeze overall for me. But I am telling you, this darn switching over to semi-real (baby food) and real foods is giving me such a headache!! Ugh. It seriously just makes me want to go back to 100% nursing. Of course I won't. I'm just venting. But really, what is so hard about this for me?

I think it's the "don't feed him this yet because of allergies", "don't feed him that because he can choke on it", "don't feed him more than one thing at a time and three days in between new foods because then you'll know what caused a reaction if he has one", "but make sure that you're exposing him to a much wider variety of foods now". One book tells me to feed him X, the next says not to. Another book tells me to feed him cheerios at 9 months for finger foods but to wait until one year old to give him wheat. HELLO!!! CHEERIOS HAVE WHEAT STARCH IN THEM, which is from WHEAT!!!

Okay.. give me a second here... (*deep inhale... deep exhale*)..

..alright, I'm back. So anyways, perhaps you can understand my frustration. Or perhaps your baby came with a manual that does not have conflicting information. I dunno. I AM going to start trying to make my own foods for Ari. The canned Gerber foods don't have enough variety. I think I will try freezing little ice cube trays of mushed up cooked foods for him so that they are readily accessible.

You know, it's funny. When you're up at 1am in the morning feeding a newborn, and then up at 4am again, and 7am, etc, etc.. you think, "Gosh, I sure can't wait until he doesn't need to feed this often, and I get more sleep, and it gets easier".. but it really never does. I mean, you do get more sleep, which should theoretically help you deal with the stress of figuring things out better.. but if it's not one thing, it's another! There's always something else that comes along that you are unprepared for and you have to start from point A all over again until you figure that thing out, and then the next thing comes...

I really do love being a mom though, I just really hate this whole FOOD thing. If you got a different idea from the previous couple of paragraphs, then you misunderstand me. You see, this is my blog... a place where I can vent and people don't HAVE to hear it. I can emote and it doesn't HAVE to ruin someone else's mood. You can just go to a different website if I'm boring you or stressing you out.. which maybe some of you already have. I say, good for you. I'm just super glad that I can get all of this off my chest and fall asleep easily, rather than mulling it all over again and again in my brain as I lie in bed tonight. Tomorrow is a new day and I will again try to do the best I can do with what is given to me. = )

So thanks for listening.. blog. Goodnight. = D

2 comments:

  1. actually about the food....
    i have my own issues with baby food. i dont remember being told to wait 3 days between stuff and audrey got a massive tummy problem right away....
    then when she was 7 months they said ok to have cottage cheese but she was choking on a few of the tiny pieces because she has no teeth yet.... then when i pureed it with fruit she gagged so hard on it i thought she was gonna vomit....
    then there's a whole world of foods i want her to try and actually at target gerber has like blends... they have a mango smoothie, a blueberry apple, orange and banana, mixed vegetables, etc.
    there are some things i will NOT buy preprepared (such as chicken and gravy or stuff like that) just because it smells like dead man farts and i wouldn't eat it.

    im just sad cos audrey is SO far behind on the teeth thing that im terrified to let her eat stuff that isnt straight mush because i am so scared of her choking.
    my doctor gave me a "super foods for baby- guide to introducing foods" sheet. it's actually REALLY helpful. i can get you a copy of it if you want....
    it tells you what consistency and what foods are ok at what age to start introducing.
    about the allergies.... ugh tough one! thankfully i dont have food allergies but it is so hard to know what makes audrey have a tummy ache because she has been teething and then sick..... KIDS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the reasons I'm not crazy about doing the blends, is because there's several new foods at one time. I guess those are only good for once your baby has had each of the fruits well individually first. Ugh. So much to think about.

    Audrey's not far behind on the teeth thing. That varies a lot. Ari got his first two around 8 months old if I recall. And it's not like they can grind things with just a few teeth. Most of the grinding at this age is supposed to be with the gums, which is why food is still supposed to be easily mash-able.

    I would love to see that sheet your doctor gave you. Maybe you can scan and email it to me? Or mail me a copy?

    ReplyDelete