Monday, October 25, 2010

Ari's 9-month Checkup!


Ari had his 9-month checkup today!

I cannot believe he is already 9 months old. It seems like just yesterday that I was finishing packing my hospital bag to head to the hospital when my water broke! (I did not pack my bag ahead of time...and I advise against it)

I didn't realize it, but Ari wasn't due for any immunizations for this checkup, so that was nice! I did have the option to get him the flu vaccine, but after talking to my doctor about all factors involved, we decided it was not the best decision to give it to him right now.

So, his stats. Ari now weights 20 lbs 7 oz and is 29.25 inches long! He is in the 50th percentile for weight (still), and now the 82nd percentile for height. Still a very tall little guy!

The funnest part about this visit (not) was that Ari got to have his penile adhesion separated. Oh joy. We have been putting hydrocortisone on the area at night for a few months now. As also instructed, I gave him a nice warm bath right before bringing him in so that the skin would be softer. He really didn't cry a whole lot at all when she pulled it apart. We're supposed to continue with hydrocortisone for a while until the skin heals. We're also supposed to MAKE SURE to pull back the shaft skin all the way each time we change his diaper so that the skin won't reattach. Why wasn't I taught all of this in the first place at the hospital after he got circumcised? Grrr.

Not all of the skin was ready to be freed, so we're supposed to continue to put hydrocortisone on for another month or so and do the bath/pull apart thing again. After watching his pediatrician to it this time, I feel confident that I can do it myself next time. It's a much smaller part that needs to be set free now.

His doctor told me that
Ari doesn't need to have easy to swallow babyfood anymore, and that he can also start having a much wider variety of foods. She said that I can just make them myself at home and grind them to a consistency that he can handle. That's nice.. but a lot more work for me. ; )

So, I think that's it. My brain is not feeling very creative today. I still have a bunch of school stuff to do, so... I'm out! Peace. = )

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember that part of having a baby boy. Must have blocked it out. Lol!

    I don't think we are going to get flu shots this year either. We've done fine the last couple of years without it and I think that, kind of like with the whole germ thing, it can be better for kids to build up their own natural immunity. I'm still a little more nervous about it this year than in years before, but like you said: if it is in God's plan for us to go, no vaccination will stop it. It's comforting to remember that God is in control of protecting my son, not me or his doctors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a little crazy. It will make me think twice about getting a boy circumcised again if I have another.. we'll see.

    Immunizations are a scary thing, but even more scary if no one gets them. I got Ari all of the scheduled immunizations because I decided that it wasn't only him in the world and I didn't want him getting ill and spreading stuff to the people he encounters on a regular basis.

    I probably would have had him get the flu shot, except for those extra-ordinary things, like me being sensitive to eggs, and also him already showing signs of having an irritated immune system (rashes, etc). The doctor didn't think we should give him the flu shot this year either, so I feel more at peace about declining it.

    ReplyDelete