Monday, August 30, 2010

Dairy & Gluten-free Cornbread, Oh MY!!

Yesterday I made some Dairy/Gluten-free cornbread and was it ever good! I made it to go along with the chili my mom made for family dinner last night. It was so nice to be able to eat everything that everyone else could... well, minus a few of the typical chili toppings, but that didn't bother me. = ) I've included the recipe below in case you wanted to try it out! This cornbread definitely turned out to be more cake-like than the cornbread you may be used to eating, and it is breakfast-y sweet. You could mess with the recipe and alter the ratios of cornmeal-flour and reduce the amount of sugar if you wanted to. I personally am having the left-overs with Earth Balance original spread and syrup for breakfast this morning though, so I will appreciate the sweetness. ; ) Here it is!:

DAIRY/GLUTEN-FREE CORNBREAD

400 degree oven 9x9 square (double for a 9x13 pan) bake: 20-25 min

Dry: 1 1/4 c flour (Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
3/4 c cornmeal (I used yellow, but you can use white)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
(for sweeter breakfast-y version, feel free to add a dash of cinnamon!)

Wet: 1 beaten egg
1 c milk (I used Silk Vanilla Soy Milk. Use original for a less sweet version)
1/4 c vegetable/canola oil

Grease pan on all sides with shortening/butter/Earth Balance spread. Mix dry ingredients, making sure to sift baking powder to avoid clumps in bread. Add wet ingredients and mix well. Pour in baking pan and place on center rack uncovered for 20-25 min, until a toothpick inserted 2" from the side comes out clean. (you can leave it in slightly longer to brown the surface more if you want, but it may get drier) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so simple! I am always on the hunt for easy GF recipes! I am a huge fan of Earth Balance now. I don't cut out dairy completely, but definitely eat it less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out for you! It was sooo simple. Almost simple enough to make every day... but let's not get carried away now Becca. ;)

    ReplyDelete