Thursday, August 18, 2011

36 Weeks Pregnant!


I'm 36 weeks tomorrow, but I had my 36 wk midwife appointment today, and it was "slightly" more eventful than I expected!

This is the first time that I haven't measured exactly on the week that I was pregnant for starters. I measured 35" today. The midwife says it's probably because of how much lower the baby is sitting in my pelvis already. I'm also 1cm dilated and 50% effaced! Woah! I was NOT expecting that. She said that she would not be surprised if I had him by next weekend! AAAAaaaa!! I was REALLY not expecting that. I mean, I have been expecting to have this baby early, because Ari was 10 days early, but not 3 weeks early!! My midwife told me that if I do not have any sex, or do a lot of walking, or doing anything that could cause the baby to bounce around in there, that I can probably hang on until next Sunday. Wow.

As my midwife was measuring my stomach, she asked me to remind her how much Ari weighed when he was born. I told her 7lbs 9oz, and she said that this baby felt like he was probably going to be around that same size. So who knows?! Maybe he's just packin' on that weight quickly so he can meet us sooner! = ) I am kind of hoping to last at least until next Sunday, because I was planning on having some friends over on Saturday for a little girl's night. But.. I am also very sick of being pregnant, and if this little guy is ready to come out then I am ready to meet him too! = D

I guess I should probably pack my hospital bag tomorrow.


I was initially somewhat concerned about the idea of having him this early because I'd remembered hearing something about alertness and ability to nursing being much different between 37 and 38 weeks. I asked my midwife though, and she said that had more to do with the timing of being medically induced. She said that even as early as 36 1/2 weeks there is usually no difference in an infant's ability to feed if the birth happens naturally. It made me feel much more at peace having my misinformation cleared up.

I did start to freak out a little bit this evening because I haven't washed any of my newborn stuff yet. So I put a load in, that included my infant car seat fabrics, and felt a little better. Overall though, I have just about everything ready, or at least ready enough. Babies really don't need much at first. = )

Oh! One VERY important detail that I almost forgot to include. If I go into labor before 37 weeks, I CANNOT have a waterbirth at the hospital. So, PLEASE pray hard that I last at LEAST until next Friday, August 26th, so I can have the waterbirth I've been planning on. = D

So yeah. I'm supposed to take it easy this week (which admittedly is super hard for me) and could be having this baby at any point in time now I guess! Aaaa!!! So excited. = D

Well, I think that's all for now. If I don't have the baby by 37 weeks, or if I get bored before then, I will try to do another post. = )

4 comments:

  1. YAY! Almost baby time again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you Rachel. The day I had our daughter Leonna, I cleaned the entire house including vacuuming both downstairs & upstairs and cleaned all bathrooms (just because---) and sure thing I had her that night. It all happened so fast. Now I really do believe the saying "Babies come fast the second time around". So relax as much as you can, and Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lol. I really will do my best to curb my impulses and relax. Thanks for the positive wishes! = D

    ReplyDelete